We The People – 545 vs 300,000,000
This column was written by the late Charlie Reese in 2001. He was a syndicated columnist known for his conservative views. He was associated with the Orlando Sentinel from 1971 to 2001, both as a writer and in various editorial capacities. This is his final column!
This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day.
It’s a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!
- Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
- Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
- You and I don’t propose a federal budget. The President does.
- You and I don’t have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
- You and I don’t write the tax code, Congress does.
- You and I don’t set fiscal policy, Congress does.
- You and I don’t control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.
- They have no legal authority.
- They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing.
- I don’t care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash.
- The politician has the power to accept or reject it.
- No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator’s responsibility to determine how he votes.
Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.
It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted — by present facts — of incompetence and irresponsibility.. I can’t think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
- If the tax code is unfair, it’s because they want it unfair.
- If the budget is in the red, it’s because they want it in the red.
- If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it’s because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it’s because they want it that way.
- There are no insoluble government problems.
- Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.
- We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.
Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
What in the heck happened? Can you spell ‘politicians?’
From Judy here – I was sent this in an email – and I so wanted to share this – what I do know – the PEOPLE do not understand how things work – they tend to blame others and especially the president for all the failures that they see happening – but and this is one big BUT . . . it takes all 545 people coming together to make sure that things pass, that laws are written, that totally stir the shit – and I am totally sick of all of the crap that is happening.
Women’s rights are being stomped on and I have to ask myself why? The republicans are coming out of the woodwork to bring down Planned Parenthood, they are modifying and editing videos so what you see are actually snippets taken from a lot of different video’s to make sure that their viewpoint gains the approval of the people.
Really? Are you serious???
What I know for sure – I am an educated woman – I care about my fellow man, I want things to be fair across the board and I don’t give a rat’s ass about a “republican” or a “democrat” or “conservative” or “liberal” connotation. What I do know is this – Absolutely NO man will ever reside over me and tell me what is good for me – they will not make decisions for me – I am a living, breathing, educated person who figures things out for herself.
People – we all need to wake up and take a stand – look at the list of potential presidential candidates coming out of the woodwork! And people are actually behind the menagerie! No wonder we are referred to as sheep!
Here are some pointers that I go by:
- Never ever believe what the media is putting out there – they are going for the jugular – not the truth
- Research – before you agree about something – look it up! Do research
- Never ever take a politicians word for something – just because – they need to earn your respect and your following – based on truth – not based on lies “Elizabeth Warren is a great respected example”
- Take religion out of the equation – it has nothing to do with politics – yet the politicians make it so
- Look at the United States as a whole – it is one of the best countries to live in – but really look at it
- The mental health buildings were all shut down – this wasn’t something that the people of the community voted on – this came from “your” government – now we have homeless and mentally ill living on the streets – we are told we cannot support these types of programs – but hey each party will raise and spend millions on the upcoming elections – Really?
- This country is made of all types of people – and every single person here in the U.S. is a descendant from an immigrant!
- NO child should go to bed hungry! All children are afforded a public education and they should be FED at school – nutritious breakfast and lunches! All public education needs to be fair – the same should be offered in all schools regardless of demographics
I could keep going – but I won’t. What I am asking is that you do your research – form groups to really figure out what a proposal is really about – put your differences aside and come to the table with solutions that will truly matter – if you do any propaganda make sure that it is truthful – not snippets taken from this column or that column to gain followers – no more lies!