Kids and Mobile Apps -
By: OnGuardOnline.gov - There is so much to know and keep track of! But I stumbled on this great website that explains about Mobile Apps and the one that I wanted to highlight is the "Kids and Mobile Apps!" Some additional questions and answers are below the Infographic - so scroll on down!
What should I know before I download an app for my kids? In a recent survey of mobile apps for kids, FTC staff found that kids' apps might:
- Collect and share personal information
- Let your kids spend real money - even if the app is free
- Include ads
- Link to social media
What's more, the apps might not tell you they are doing it! Holly Toledo! You kidding me?
To learn more about Kids and Mobile Apps before you download it:
- Look at screen shots
- Read the description
- Read the content rating
- Read any user reviews and do some research on the developer! You also can look up outside reviews from sources you respect.
Are there ways to restrict how my kids use apps?
Before you pass the phone or tablet to your kids, take a look at your settings:
- You may be able to restrict content to what’s right for your kid’s age
- You may be able to set a password so apps can’t be downloaded without it
- Set a password so your kids can’t buy stuff without it.
- You also can turn off Wi-Fi and data services or put your phone on airplane mode so it can’t connect to the internet.
The best way to keep up with kids’ apps is try them out yourself and talk to your kids about your rules for using apps. This is imperative as kids don't realize the ramifications of what they are doing. Things appear one way, and they don't have the experience or the years yet to realize that things may not be what they seem! Kids and Mobile Apps - something that us parents need to stay on top of!