Social Media Impacts Search Engine Rankings!
I am a huge proponent of social networking. I totally get it that you need to be active and on different social media sites – many people think that this isn’t so – but here is a great Infographic by Brandon Gaille that totally supports this very scenario.
There is a 2nd part to this as well – you need to make sure that all of your profiles are consistent – that your message is similar. You also need to make sure that you are using the “Keywords” that your target audience is using to find someone like you with your skill set. This is crucial – and you also need to research other social networks outside of LinkedIn, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube.
Know what networks your target audience is using and get signed up and become active in those social networks. Example:
- Target Audience is Teens – WeChat, Vine, Flickr, Skype, Instagram, Reddit, Foursquare, Shazam, WhatsApp, Google+ (this list is not conclusive)
- Do your research – find out what social networks your Target Audience is using. Define this clearly – here is a link to show you the listings of all the social networks that are on the net today
Food for thought:
- Over 60% of clicks are to the first website listed on a search engine
- One of the newest discoveries is the social aspect. Twitter and Facebook play a huge role in how websites are ranked competitively.
- Check out the case study by Shrushti.com – What they found is that Re-tweets, the like and share of Facebook and Google+ likes make a difference in how a website is ranked!
- Another example – Moz.com who used a single tweet from an influential person to make the website go from zero hits per day to the first page of Google results. All of which was done through a single tweet.
- Check out the Social Signal Experiment. 6 very similar websites were made in six different cities with the same niche content. It showed that tweets, Facebook likes and Google+ likes all worked to increase the ranking.
What Can You Do?
- Going to share a URL? Do it on: Monday, Wednesday or Thursday between 9 a.m. – 12 and 3 – 6 p.m. This will increase the likelihood that you will get social votes.
- Asking a question – will increase how likely people will respond.
- Include an image in your post, you increase engagement by 200%
- If you ask for a vote from those following you, you can expect up to a 400% increase in responses.
Social media is something that all businesses need to grasp, get their heads around and come up with a plan that will enhance their business practices!