How to keep kids and teens safe online!
Thank you Ben for bringing my attention to your great article. Everyone, Meet Ben Taylor, Author of "Internet Safety". I am very concerned about the internet atrocities that are running rampant and I know that the more parents and teachers alike know about this subject matter ~ will help to keep our kids and teens safe.
I am also a techie - and I am simply appalled at the crap that is happening online. From Cyberbullying to Cyberstalking - having malware run rampant on home computers / laptops - how kids and adults alike get tricked into clicking on a link and or filling out online information - internet porn, child porn, sex offenders etc.
The internet is a great tool - and like all things there are those that want to ruin it for others - I was shocked at some of the statistics that Ben is sharing:
- Over 50% of young people report having been bullied online in some form
- 15% of teenagers admit to being cyberbullies themselves
- One in Seven “youth internet users” have received “unwanted sexual solicitations online.” That means three or four young people out of every average classroom
- 11% of teenagers say they have “shared naked pictures of themselves online or via text message.”
- The image of a pedophile posing as a child in a chatroom remains a valid one (with 76% of related sex crimes beginning in such an online environment). However, parents should also be aware that only 5% of predators lie about their ages (according to a USstudy). Many openly state their intentions (and reveal their ages) to impressionable teenagers.
The list continues - the explanations continue - so do me a favor - please read this article - leave a comment on your thoughts and share the information with your friends and family. It is very important that we don't turn a cheek or an ear and pretend that we don't need to know about these things. How to Keep Kids and Teens Safe Online by Ben Taylor is worth your time to read.